Monday, April 4, 2011

How was MY weekend?!

This past weekend was the world-wide broadcast of the General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. President Uchtdorf challenged the members to share spiritual messages with our friends and family through texting and blogging. He mentioned that the question "How was your weekend?" is often answered by telling about the sports events, movies, or social events that we attended. He then encouraged us to share what we learned at Church over the weekend when we are asked how our weekend was. So between my desire to more frequently update my blog and this simple suggestion from this great leader, I have decided that every week I am going to post some gospel nugget that I gained from Church.

Some of my favorite sermons from the General Conference included topics about family, trials, and service. One of the 12 Apostles spoke mostly about his late wife, who he knows he will see again and their love will be even stronger after their time being separated by death. It was also very precious to me to see all of the apostles leaving the Conference center with their beautiful lives. There is something wonderful about seeing our leaders arm-in-arm with the loves of their lives!

Right now I cannot remember who gave the other sermon that I really enjoyed, but it was about enduring through our trials. I love the analogy he gave about climbing a mountain: The hardest part is usually the final climb to the summit, which if we make it to the top, we can enjoy the magnificent view of the valleys and canyons below. Many times our hardest trials and darkest moments are followed by marvelous miracles that we could not have experienced if we do not endure.

I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to hear from the leaders of our Church. They are truly inspired men and they want us to be happy and achieve eternal life. I know that this is Christ's church and that I must always be an instrument in His hand to help His work and glory move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment